Sunday, January 11, 2009

All in the name of WINGS!


Chicken wings and me just do not get along! Sounds crazy, but it is the truth! The ONLY reason I deal with them is b/c Ty loves them so much! Let me explain. I bake EVERYTHING! Any kind of meat that can be cooked, I put it in my oven. (For health reasons)The only time we eat something fried, which is once or twice a year, is fried catfish. (Or unless we are in the states straying away from our 9 month diet overseas)
Anyway, the other day, I was cooking this disasterous meal...how can it be so bad if Im just putting it in the oven? That too, I will explain. Ty is a simple man. Easygoing, loves everything I prepare, never complains, loves leftovers, the whole nine....but when it comes to his wings, they have to be PERFECT! Just the right amount of crisp, the perfect shade of brown, with a zest to go right along with it. So of course, wanting him to love every meal I make, I try to perfect it as much as I can. Well, every single time, I am almost cursing the creation of chicken! Ty never knows it, but behind the scenes, in my kitchen, its a true battle. Mind you, overseas, we dont have all the extra gadgets that we take for granted in the States, such as the BROIL dial.
Going back to his picky tendencies towards wings, the crispyness of it-that is. Ok, the first part of the meal is pretty simple. Put it in the oven and let it bake. Well, after so long, I have to start the hard part. I have to transport the wings from the dish onto another one. Let it bake for a little bit longer. Once they have started to create their own juices, I have to again, transport the wings onto another baking dish. (And yes, to answer any 'obvious' questions, I do use oven mits, I do use a fork, spatuala, etc....)
As I am turning over each and every wing, my fingers are dang near going through second degree burns. After baking in the dishes, I then put them in foil, inspecting every single one of them before placing them back in the oven. If you are a cook, you know some parts of the chicken can tend to get 'slimy' (Ty's word) from the juices (or like I like to call it, tender)......ok, I will fast forward....at the end of it all, my fingers are burnt up, Im mad at myself b/c I am mad at some lifeless chicken wings, and also b/c I let my sister, Halana hear me sound defeated by a simple dinner....After I 'get it together' I inspect every piece of chicken to make sure its the perfect kind of crispy and that it does not have any kind of fat on it (another pet peeve of his), etc, etc...
When Ty gets home, VOILA! He is grinning from ear to ear and the first bite, I stand there holding my breath hoping that it has passed the test of his tastebuds. As I see that contagious smile spread across his face, I think 'YES! I did it!!!' He confirms that they are 'PERFECT' (his words to be exact) and I walk back into the battlefield and smile my 'victory smile'.
But never, not once, does he know how much I HATE baking those darn wings. Its my little secret b/c I know if he knew, he would tell me to not even go through all the trouble of doing it. But, Ive learned that loving somebody is not supposed to be convenient. You can get burned sometimes, you can dread going through it, but if that person is worth it, you will find ways to get it done, regardless. Of course, Im still trying to master those wings without all the drama, but until then, Ill just keep my water on cold and my stick of butter on the counter.

5 comments:

  1. LOL! I think we all have something we do for our spouse that we don't necessarily like. For me-- I go to a movie or two. You make chicken wings. There's a lesson though-- relationships aren't easy and sometimes you have to do something you don't want to do. I don't always WANT to do what God tells me, but I try to do it anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUH!? You dont like going to the movies?!!? My sweet riri!! Maybe its the FB anxiety!?!? lol j/k
    But yeah, youre so right! Esp as it relates to God...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post!! I can relate...I have a lot of meals I cook for Nichy I don't really like....and now I am learning to cook Panamanian food:) You are a good wife!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of you last knight when I went to wingstop. I am firing them and hiring you.lol They used to be so good, and the chicken is so little know. I almost ate the whole 20 piece by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you haven't lived until you have eaten chicken wings.lol. you don't know what you are missing. i hope your hubby will make a 'believer' of you.

    ReplyDelete